For the past few months, I’ve been holding off on revealing the Flip This (Mini) House project. Today’s the day I’m going to give you a closer look at some of the finished details, starting with the kitchen! Let me know what you think!
I’m trying out paint colors on shingles. I’ve decided to go with a mix of yellows and browns. You may be tempted to shingle your house and paint it later, since this is much faster than painting shingles individually. I think it’s worth the extra time to paint them individually, varying the color a bit from shingle to shingle, so your finished product looks more realistic.
I will show you where to start applying your shingles soon!
It takes a long time, but this is what television is for. So you can watch it, guilt-free, while accomplishing mindless projects like painting 8 zillion mini shingles.
Have I mentioned how excited I am that the Real Housewives of New York are back? I love them all!!!!! Even Ramona has carved a small place in my heart.
The refrigerator and stove I plan to use in my house were a little too small and an icky shade of yellowish beige. After several unsuccessful looks at eBay and other online miniature shopping sites, I decided to do what I could to improve the appearance of them.
I didn’t mind so much that they were a little small — to me, it gave the refrigerator a bit of a Smeg feel to it, and the stove reminded me of a cute little 1960’s gas stove I had in an apartment long ago (my favorite apartment ever). But the stove in particular was just too small to work with the cute little set of cupboards my mom picked up for me, which I am firmly committed to using, so I decided to do what I could to make the stove a little bigger.
After putting a couple of coats of paint on each, I added some feet to the stove (tiles, actually).
The tiles/feet overhang the back of the stove, because I’m going to build up the back of it with some cork coasters. These little feet bring it up to the same height as my countertops.
These coasters not only give the stove a top portion for knobs, but they also make it so the stove is the same approximate depth of my counter tops.
I added some tape to round off the border of the stove, some more coats of paint, and some black brads as tiny control knobs.
My stove is almost done! It needs another coat of paint and some of the details worked out, but I’m much happier with the color, size, and general appearance. Photos of it in the kitchen coming soon!
This trinket that someone purchased in Jamaica is going to make a fabulous light fixture! Here is the “before” version of it:
It was filled with blue sand, little shells, a tiny starfish, and a little pail. My initial attraction to it was based upon the tiny shells, which I thought might be cute sitting on a shelf in my mid century marvel’s bathroom one day.
The only thing keeping the sand and shells inside was a small, easy-to-remove plastic cap at the bottom of the ornament.
I separated the stuff inside from the ornament:
Next I cleaned up the ornament with some nail polish remover. Without too much trouble the word Jamaica was erased. Here is a picture of it after about thirty seconds of scrubbing at the ornament with a Q-tip and polish remover. After another couple of minutes, the word was gone.
The word and the price sticker all came cleanly off, leaving me with this little globe:
With a little more work, this small globe is going to be a great light fixture one day!
Here is an in-progress project:
This groovy little pom-pom sign will be a great addition to my mid century house! The tiny pom-poms and backing are available at most crafts stores. It’s easy to sew them onto the backing. You can write or draw your design on ahead of time, or just wing it. Make sure you have enough of each color to complete your shapes or letters. I ran out of light blue on the “e” and had to finish it with white, but I think it turned out pretty cute anyway. This is a quick, simple, inexpensive project. I’m still deciding if I’m going to turn this into a wallhanging or the face of a throw pillow.